12 Best Houseplants for Improving the Air Quality In Your Home
If you are looking for ways to improve your home’s indoor air quality, you may want to consider investing in one or some of these air-purifying houseplants.
What’s in our air?
• Formaldehyde: carpets, upholstery, glues, paints
• Benzene: plastics, synthetic fabrics, rubber, pesticides, lubricants
• Trichloroethylene: paint removers, rug cleaning solutions, adhesives
• Xylene: printing, rubber, leather and paint industries, vehicle exhausts
• Ammonia: found in window cleaners, floor waxes, smelling salts and fertilizers
What are the effects on humans?
All these pollutants contribute to “Unhealthy Air” which cause symptoms ranging from allergies, headaches, dizziness to nervous system disorders, cancer and death.
Below is a list of 12 very common and easy to take care of plants that will clean air naturally, as well as brighten up your living space.
1. ALOE (Aloe Vera)
This easy-to-grow, sun-loving succulent helps clear out formaldehyde and benzene.
2. SPIDER PLANT (Chlorophytum Comosum)
Easy-to-grow, good for reducing benzene, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide, and xylene.
3. WEEPING FIG (Ficus Benjamina)
Helps filter out formaldehyde, benzene and trichloroethylene.
4. CHINESE EVERGREEN (Aglaonema modestum)
Low maintenance plant, removes a variety of air pollutants.
5. RED-EDGED DRACAENA (Dracaena Marginata)
Shrub, good for reducing xylene, trichloroethylene, and formaldehyde.
6. HEARTLEAF PHILODENDRON (Philodendron Oxycardium)
Great for removing formaldehyde and other toxins. Do not own if you have kids or pets – plant is toxic if eaten!
7. RUBBER PLANT (Ficus Elastica)
A tough plant that can withstand dim light and cool temps, good for removing formaldehyde.
8. SNAKE PLANT (Sansevieria Trifasciata ‘Laurentii’)
One of the best plants for removing formaldehyde. Great to place in the bathroom.
9. PEACE LILY (Spathiphyllum ‘Mauna Loa’)
At the top of NASA’s list for removing all three of most common VOCs – formaldehyde, benzene and trichloroethylene.
10. POTHOS (Scindapsus Aures)
Fast-growing vine, effective for removing formaldehyde.
11. ENGLISH IVY (Hedera Helix)
Easy to grow and thrives best in medium to low sunlight. Helps reduce airborne fecal-matter particles. The plant is also great for a family with smokers in it.
12. GERBERA DAISY (Gerbera Jamesonii)
Beautiful to look at, and also helps reduce benzene and trichloroethylene.